Jan 30, 2016

I have become a big blubbering baby.

I am not sure if aging also brings the onset of sentimentality or not.

Certainly age is about loss, loss of vigor, loss of youth, loss of innocence but also the loss of loved ones and cherished things. In one sense, that’s okay. I do not at all embrace this idea of ‘the good old days.’ When people talk about things being better in the past, I call bullshit more often than not because no matter what problems we may confront today and in the future, the world and life in general does get better. In many ways while we might say things are getting worse, we are just forgetting the problems we may have had in the past.

So, back to this big blubbering baby shit...

I find I much more readily succumb to the waterworks than I did when I was younger. I don’t think I am more emotional or more sensitive now than I was in the past but the things I do cherish I guard jealously.

Music can do that to me much more than I may like. I like lots of different music but there are some pieces of music that have stories tied up in them. Stories for me or stories for the artist.

Anyway, this is a crappy, crappy video but I really feel something for this song and I thought I might share it on a Saturday:


This happens to be the last new Beatles tune to be released and it came so long after they had broken up it was a big treat for everyone who thought they would never hear a new Beatles tune. While the Beatles were ubiquitous when I was a very young child, I never really was subject to Beatlemania because 1) I was a boy and 2) they skewed slightly to older fans.

Now, Wings? That was my band, I was a big Wings fan for a brief period of my mid teens. And later on I developed a love of all that came before. I think people will always feel cheated that John Lennon was taken away so abruptly, so violently and so senselessly from us but hearing this only makes one wonder what might have been and how much there was a very special alchemy in the joining of four musicians from an industrial part of England.

By the by, anyone who doesn’t credit Jeff Lynne on this is missing the boat. If there is one person on the planet who took up the mantle of the Beatles after they broke up it is Jeff Lynne and if you don’t think so go back and listen to 1977’s Concerto for A Rainy Day put out under the banner of ELO.

No comments: